Your RV is a large house on wheels. This means that your engine is put under a lot of strain, which makes maintenance important. You should always keep up with your maintenance appointments, and talk to your RV specialist about any strange symptoms that you notice. The following guide is just meant to shed some light on a few problems that you should be aware of.
1. The Gas Leak Problem
A gas leak is one problem that may happen with your RV. The following are just some of the reasons why you may experience a gas leak:
- There may be a crack in your fuel tank, which could have occurred while you were driving.
- The crack could be on the fuel lines leading away from your fuel tank and into your engine.
- There could be an obstruction near the fuel filter of your RV.
- You may have a loose clamp near your fuel filter as well.
The following are a few symptoms that are usually related to a leaky gas system:
- The smell of unburned fuel coming from your exhaust pipe and/or black smoke emitting from the pipe.
- Your might need to fill up your RV more often.
You need to make sure you talk to your RV specialist should you notice any of these issues so that he or she can fix the problem.
2. Blown Tires
It should come to no surprise that your RV's tires are going to be taking a beating, as they do have to support a lot of weight. Make sure your tires are in perfect condition to avoid dealing with a blown tire. Take the following into consideration:
- Heat can add pressure to your tires (about 1 pound per 10 degrees of heat), which could crack the walls of your tires and make them vulnerable to blowouts.
- Be sure that you see no cracks on the walls of your tires.
- Make sure there is enough tread left in your tires. You can insert a penny into the tread in various locations, and make sure that Lincoln's head is completely immersed. This is a good indicator that you have enough tread.
You can talk to your RV specialist about other areas of your RV that need attention, just to make sure that you stay safe and your vehicle gets you to your destination. But, as you can see, there is a lot to take care of so be sure to keep up with regular maintenance.
Contact a service like Auto-Truck Services Inc for more help.